Often people find themselves on the wrong side of the law. This can be for a DWI or another offense. Sometimes however, you many find themselves at the wrong place at the wrong time and end up being arrested for alleged criminal offenses.

In such a situation the person arrested must employ the services of a lawyer.

If you try to represent yourself in a court battle, you may be at a disadvantage as Lawyer 07you are not an expert in all the finer points of law. One main thing to do if you are arrested for an offense is to keep quiet and ask to speak to a lawyer. Some people try to save money by making use of a state-appointed lawyer. However, this may not be the smart thing to do. The state-appointed lawyers also known as public defenders are the lawyers who are hired by the local government to represent those who cannot afford a lawyer. However, these lawyers are often overwhelmed with cases that they cannot give your case any particular attention. Due to this scenario you may end up losing the case and paying a hefty fine or going to jail. With an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side, you will have the chance to either reduce the sentence drastically or settle with a plea bargain.

Lawyer 58These lawyers are well versed in criminal law and can go over your case in detail. They will advise you on the best course of action, so as to get a lesser sentence or fine or get the case settled without with a plea bargain. They will also gather more evidence and witnesses who will testify on your behalf. Often if a person is arrested for a criminal offense, the arresting officer will try to talk with you and get your side of the story. This is something you should never do without the presence and guidance of a lawyer. You may find it compelling to tell your story to try and prove that you do not deserve to be there, however, you will only be incriminating yourself.

A criminal defense attorney will tell you not to say a word until you have had a chance to consult with him. He will often file a nail application and ask the court for time while he prepares your defense.